Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Self Portrait Process


Here is a self portrait that I have been working on and off all summer. I will show you the final in my next post. I began to experiment with different mediums such as Linseed Oil and Neo Megilp. Both are amazing! I’m trying to get the fluidity that Malcolm Liepke does in his pieces. However I do not want to wait a month for the paint to dry to the touch. He apparently uses poppy oil, clove oil, and linseed oil according to this interview.

The first picture is a burnt umber wash and an accurate drawing underneath. After that I started with the eyes and nailed them. I felt like I was moving in the right direction so I continued on. THe next day I blocked in the shapes and fix any drawing errors I could find. I tried to keep a fresh eye by taking frequent 5 minute breaks at this point. I put it away for about a week or two and then decided to change my shirt (I end up changing it again.) I really wanted to take my time with this piece. In the last picture I probably have about 5-6 layers of glazes.

Also recently I’ve discovered some new painters, if you haven’t already heard of them: Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Andres Zorn, and Joaquin Sorolla. My buddy Rob Rey suggested most of these and a bunch more but I can only take so much inspiration before I have to get to painting myself. Whenever I go into the Detroit Institute of the Arts I end up staying for about an hour before I get antsy and want to start painting. I’ve definitely taken full advantage of my free membership. The rest I will share with you in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment