Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Comic-Con 2008




(Pictures John Howe, Superman, Stormtrooper and Boba Feta)

Comic-con was a blast! I met so many new people and artists that I could never have anywhere else. I was lucky enough to put my portfolio in front of some important faces in the art community. I received priceless advice and now I know how to develop MY portfolio. I’m happy to say I know the direction that I’m heading now and I know what I have to do in these next two years.

For all of those that were unable to attend I’ll give it to you in a nutshell. I originally did not know what to expect other than pure utter chaos. When I got there it was like a kid in a candy store. I had to take a deep breath and remind myself not to get too excited. I was shocked with the amount of artists that were there. All of them were more than happy to speak with you, they gave great advice on portfolios and the business of art, and some wanted you to email them your work as it developed. I spoke with artists such as Ashley Wood, Justin Sweet, Sean “Cheeks” Galloway, John Howe, Shelly Wan, Stephan Martinière (art director/concept artist), Scott Robertson, JC Shuster, Pascal Campion, Craig Elliot, Jon Foster, Jeff Watts, Joe Bluhm, Bobby Chiu, Irene Gallo (art director), and many many more. Everywhere you turned there was an opportunity to meet someone new, network, hand out your business card, and get noticed in the crowd. I found that if you mentioned to the artists/art directors that you were a student illustrator they were more than happy to give you advice on the industry, even excited to sometimes.

The reason I went on this trip, personally, was not to necessarily to get a job but learn what niches/opportunities there were for me. Once I found that out I could taylor my portfolio in the next two years. I was blown away with what was being done. There is so much opportunity out there but only for those that want to work for it. I learned where I stand and what I have to do. It was a great chance to compare my portfolio and see what works and what doesn’t. I was extremely happy to go and I hope to attend next year. If it were up to me, I would have the entire Illustration Department go and experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment